Omoyele Sowore has always played politics at the national level.
- In 1992, he led Nigerian campuses in a revolt against secret cults and their impact on university campuses. This is what brought him to prominence.
- In 1993, he was the leader of the National Students and Youth Movement and was a major part of the pro-democracy actions against the annulment of the June 12th elections by Babangida and his cabals. His efforts, along with the great contributions of many other activists eventually led to the withdrawal of the military from politics in 1999.
- Since 2006, Sowore established and continues to run the hard-hitting globally acclaimed media platform Sahara Reporters which has been the foremost platform for holding leaders accountable.
- In 2006, Sowore’s efforts, through Sahara Reporters, helped to prevent Obasanjo’s third term agenda.
- In 2010, he again played a great role in Nigeria’s national politics by exposing the actions of the Yar’Adua cabal who were trying to prevent the constitutional transfer of power to a Southern minority president.
- In 2015, Sowore’s pioneering efforts in the real time reporting of election results helped to bring an opposition party to power for the first time in the history of Nigeria’s politics by guaranteeing the integrity of the electoral process.
- His platform, Sahara Reporters, is globally acknowledged as a pioneer in the field. His entrepreneurial and managerial skills are also attributes that qualify him for the office.
Nigeria has never lacked strong, individual voices that were brave enough to come forth with the truth. Unfortunately, such voices have been silenced by the very bodies that were meant to protect Nigeria from the rot. For this reason, if we are to see true transformation, then we must begin to elect men and women of principle into positions where they have the power to effect real change. There is no single position or power greater than the Nigerian presidency if we are to make Nigeria work. The TakeItBack Movement intends not just to work towards having Sowore as president, but also intends to have members of our Movement run for office in every electoral position available in 2019. We are seeking to bring about a complete overhaul of the Nigerian political system.